Monday, 28 September 2009

It's not my mistake but I can fix it

I once closed a Severity 1 APAR (bug) as "User error" - then re-released every module in the online system to correct it.

The system was HVP (High Volume Products - an internal ordering system)
I was responsible for the rewrite of the online system. Each online program had an edit on a list of country numbers. I asked the user's if this list would ever change.
They said no. So I coded it as a static array.

6 months into production they decided another country number was needed. Had I closed the problem as a "SUG"=suggestion then they would have needed to raise a change request. But this was urgent so I closed it as "USE"=User Error, made the change, and re-released every module in the online system.

No comments:

Post a Comment